Welcome to my online journal

View slideshows at the bottom of my page

Friday, December 19, 2008

Christmas Decorations



My favorite part of decorating for Christmas is that we hang a wreath with a dark red, velvet ribbon on every inside door. We hang a large wreath with a long ribbon on the front door. My second favorite is the holly and white lights we usually hang on the stair railing. We haven't done that yet this year, we don't know where all our white lights went! Then we hang our stockings on it, too. That railing really comes in handy! I don't know where we'd hang them if we didn't have stairs because we don't have a fireplace. (Somehow Santa gets in anyway.)



Outdoor decorating is Ken's area...he loves his new toy; he got a box that plays music and flashes the lights to the beat of the music. I am personally quite embarrassed by it, but oh well. I'd love it if we could hang icicle lights on the roofline of the second story but I'm sure not climbing up there and nobody else is volunteering.



Having grown up in Pennsylvania, we are ashamed to say that we have a fake tree. We miss the smell of a real tree but don't want to spend $150 for a 5' tree with barely any branches or needles left. Besides, with 10' ceilings, a short tree would look pretty funny. Maybe next year we'll get a smaller one just for the smell, I really miss that!




The other day, Dr. Phil had a show on Christmas extremes. One guest was a lady who fills her house so full of Christmas decorations she can barely move around from Halloween to Easter...she hangs trees from the ceiling in corners where the floor doesn't have room. She has a full-sized tree in every bathroom. She has talking snowmen and talking Santas and talking ornaments that wish you a Merry Christmas every time someone walks into the room. We're not that bad, we think less is more! But I'm always sad to take down the decorations because they make the house look pretty.

Next year I'm going for candles in the windows on the front of the house. That may be a thing for back East, I haven't seen many people do that here in Arizona but I LOVE that look. I plan on raiding Michael's (craft and decorating store) after Christmas when everything is 75% off and they have coupons, too...

I'd love to see your decorations....besides, I need ideas!

P.S. We still haven't gone Christmas shopping. I'm starting to panic...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've gotten the wreaths for our indoor doors also because I loved the look of yours! Your house looks awesome on the outside! I wish I could be there to see it in person...maybe someday, sigh...