Welcome to my online journal

View slideshows at the bottom of my page

Monday, October 20, 2008

The end of an era...

With the exception of a few years in the early 1990s when I worked at a travel agency, I have been at home with my children. Yes, I've taught piano lessons, worked part-time jobs, gone to college full-time (including evenings and summers), etc. But for the most part, I have considered myself to be a stay-at-home mom. Now, I have gotten a job that will be full-time, and as I look into the future, I see that once I begin this job (in a week or so), it will mark the end of my days as a stay-at-home mom. I don't know at what point I will be able to-or want to-be at home 24/7 again. With our children well into their school years (and even leaving their school years), it seems like the time is right to use my education and go out into the working world. It's not a nice world all the time, certainly not convenient, comfortable, or cozy like home. I'm really happy and lucky, though, that I found work at ASU East campus, which is really close to my house. It is located on the grounds of an old military base that houses ASU East (Polytechnic), Chandler Gilbert Community College--Williams Campus, and the Williams Gateway Airport (my office will be about 100 feet from the runway). President Bush actually flew into Williams Gateway once because it can handle 747s, it would be really cool if that happened again. Anyway, the campus is small (just my size) so I'm really happy about that. When this 1-year research project is over, I am really hoping to find something permanent on this campus.

For now, I will do my best to enjoy my last few days of time as a "stay-at-home mom".

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stop, stop! You're making me sad! What will I do without non stop texting? What if I neeeeded you to come be here with me? I am bittersweet about the whole job thing...I am very happy because I know how badly you wanted to work, yet, I am totally being selfish and only thinking of me here... sniffle sniffle...