Welcome to my online journal

View slideshows at the bottom of my page

Monday, January 11, 2010

The Hosch Family, Established January 11, 1989

My family and Ken's family have known each other longer than I've been alive. We attended the same church. Because Ken is 5 years older than me, I didn't know him very well. By the time I started to attend youth program activities like dances where I'd be around the older kids, I was 14 and Ken was already 19, in college, and on his way to Germany to serve a mission for our church. I was, however, always good friends with his younger brother Roland and his sisters Heidi and Pam. (His brother Randy is 4 years older than me so I wasn't around him much, either.) Ken was in Germany from 1985-1987. When he got home, I was spending the summer in Arizona with my older sister, Barb. When I got home from Arizona, Ken was always working, in college classes, etc. He wasn't really home when I would be over at the Hosch's house and he was certainly too old for youth activies.

Fast forward to 1988. Heidi and Pam invited me to come swim at their house on a VERY, VERY hot day. Who could turn that down? Ken happened to be home and joined us for swimming and video games. As it turns out, we were both heading to college at BYU so we started talking about that and many other things. We started dating and haven't been apart since.

Like all married couples, we've had our struggles. But we're pretty well matched in a lot of ways. We have four great boys we just adore and it's been quite an adventure building a life together.



That dress is soooo 80s! I've been watching "Say Yes to the Dress" lately and the boys have asked to see my wedding dress and gave me a thumbs up. I rented it so I could have an expensive dress without having to spend much money. I don't regret that for a second, I loved my dress. If you're getting married, consider it!

I had such trouble with my hair-I cut my bangs myself the day before our wedding. My hair was wet and I combed my bangs down my forehead and cut them to the length I thought I wanted them, not realizing just how short I was cutting them. When I dried my hair I was shocked to see that my bangs were extremely short-they were halfway up my forehead and so short I had a hard time wrapping the hair around my curling iron! Luckily it didn't look too bad-the young can get away with a lot. My dad cut Ken's hair. (Ok, he fixed what I'd done wrong because Ken was having me cut his hair from about 2 weeks into our dating. He only had sewing scissors at the time so I did my best but I'm glad my dad fixed it before the wedding!)

Walking into the temple to get married that morning, I slipped on what was probably the only small patch of ice on the entire temple grounds, breaking the nail on my right middle finger. My dad laughed and said "Ken, she's blonde and Polish, are you sure you want to marry her?" Thankfully I didn't break any on my left hand or photos like this wouldn't have been taken.

It seems like that all took place maybe 5-10 years ago, certainly not 21.
My 21 favorite things about being married to Ken are:

1. Josh
2. Jeremy
3. Adam
4. Austin
5. he's my best friend
6. he's really patient
7. he's really forgiving when I'm immature or mean (hey, it happens)
8. he can fix just about anything
9. he can build just about anything
10. he can cook better than me
11. he relaxes by doing housework
12. he is willing to go to the store at 11 pm to get me something if I want it
13. he's extremely thoughtful
14. he's one of the most selfless people I know
15. he's really even-tempered
16. he's supportive
17. he works really, really hard and always has
18. he laughs with me, not at me
19. he knows what I like and don't like because he listens
20. he moved us to Arizona just because I wanted to live here
21. he married me even though I really am blonde and Polish

3 comments:

Mary said...

Love this post. So cute. I don't really know Ken that well either.

Jessica said...

Congratulations on 21 years of marriage! I had to laugh when you mentioned your dress was "so 80's". I got married in '94 and my dress was similar to yours in some ways, but hey, those types of dresses were in then! :)

I also watch "Say Yes to the Dress" and I love it! Seeing those gowns makes me think that if I were to be married today, my dress would be a complete 180 from the one I wore - a lot less pouf and crinoline.

Anonymous said...

Aaaw, you guys were so cute! You definitely described Ken perfectly...YOU have TONS of great qualities too!! :) Happy Anniversary to you both!