Welcome to my online journal

View slideshows at the bottom of my page

Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Giving thanks

Well, it's that time of year again, my absolute favorite!! I'm so glad Thanksgiving hasn't been cheapened like Christmas and become so crazy like Halloween. It's still the best holiday because it's always on a Thursday and Ken gets Friday off. Wow, a 4-day weekend, so rare!! And the food is the BEST.

So my posts this month will all include something of gratitude. Today is Veteran's Day so how could I not say something about veterans?? I have no idea what it's like to be in the military, let alone go to war. I don't know what it's like to be out there fighting for our freedom or to be willing to die for what I believe in. There are so many who do know, though. I truly thank them. From those who fought to free us from British rule in the Revolutionary War to the Civil War, World War I, World War II, the Korean "conflict", Vietnam, Desert Storm, and those who serve now and all times in between.

My dad's dad serving in the Army in the early 1930s:


My father was a Korean War vet, although not in Korea; he served on an aircraft carrier in the Mediterranean. He was on the USS Coral Sea and the USS Lake Champlain.

Deck inspection, my dad is the starred sailor:


If I had to choose a branch of the military it would be either Air Force or Navy (except I'm scare of the ocean) but I love love love the Navy!!

My father-in-law came to the United States in the mid1950s and served in the National Guard. I wish I had a picture of him in his uniform!

Our long-time family friend, Thom, served in the Navy in the 1970s. He'd come visit in his black casual uniform and my sister Linda and I just thought he was the coolest. Our friends Rob and Christina met while serving in the Army.

My nephew Will, my cousin Kelle and her husband Mel are currently serving. Mel is over in the Middle East and I hope and pray he comes home whole, healthy, and happy as he and Kelle are expecting a baby!!

Thank you so much and God bless America!!

No comments: