Welcome to my online journal

View slideshows at the bottom of my page

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

You reap what you sow

So last night we had our first corn from our garden with dinner. Oh. My. Gosh. Silver corn is the best, it was incredible. Sweet, juicy, absolutely perfect. We have a ton at once and are sharing with neighbors. We thought we were being smart planting some plants and seeds to stagger the corn but for some weird reason it's all ready at once...hundreds of ears at once! I am NOT canning this year. Maybe next year...

Our cucumbers are a huge disappointment, along with our green peppers and larger tomatoes. They are nasty and just not growing right even though the plants look great. The green veggies taste like perfume and the tomatoes are splitting from the intense heat here. The cherry tomatoes are growing well, though and will have to do for this season.

You live and learn. The corn has been worth all the effort. We're also still getting strawberries and zucchini.

Today we celebrated Ken's birthday. He's graced the planet for 44 years now. He went to work so we couldn't have fun all day like we did for my birthday. Sad. Maybe next year! I'm not going to come up with 44 things I love about him...he's awesome and there's very little I'd change about him, that should suffice. I wish there were 2 of him, 1 to go to work and 1 to stay home with me! Ok, while we're at it, let's just make like 10 of him, 9 go to work and the original stays with me! We get along great almost all the time. He's an extremely selfless person so I'm spoiled that way and he makes me more selfless, less selfish when I think "what would Ken do?" or when I don't want to do something for him but then realize he would totally do it for me. He's not perfect but he's awfully close. Very easy to get along with and thoughtful. Happy Birthday Ken!

No comments: