Welcome to my online journal

View slideshows at the bottom of my page

Friday, May 15, 2009

President Obama and ASU


I'm not a fan of politicians. Don't get me started...but on Wednesday, President Obama spoke at ASU's graduation. I watched his speech and re-read it online today. I have to say, the man can speak. He talked about how some people graduated in good times and simply had to keep them going; but other graduates faced difficult times, times in which they had to be strong and help redefine our country. Of course these graduates face the latter. He talked to them about not falling for the same "brass ring" traps that caused the recent financial crisis, but to redefine success. He asked them not to need possessions to prove their worth~and reminded them that their best work in life is yet to come, as it should be, to never stop striving to be better. He asked them to help non-profits do better, to start businesses, to reach out to those in need, to never stop striving to find ways to help the environment, to use their education and experiences to make our country great again; not great in a military definition, but on a more human level, the way it used to be. Well, that's more or less what he said, you can google his speech. I was impressed, to tell you the truth. To save our country, people need to be inspired. While I have never really liked the policies of most democrats, and despite the fact that he's already breaking campaign promises (and being cheered for it...I'll never understand), I, at the very least, like to hear this man speak.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do realize he doesn't write his own speeches, right?

Cyndi said...

Ya