Welcome to my online journal

View slideshows at the bottom of my page

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Concerts and bachelors



Last night we got to go to Adam's choir concert. It's obvious the choir director loves her job and loves the kids, she does a good job with them. The piano player is the same lady who played last concert and she rocked yet again...I always appreciate a great player. She picked kids for solos who did a really good job, which the audience always appreciates. Sometimes it's like the American Idol tryouts, you just don't know what you're going to get. I think all the kids who sang solos have guts, I wouldn't do it. Good job, kids!



Ok, so about the Bachelor...I'm not sure what to think. The show is just that...a show. It's so real for everyone involved and I'm sure there are very real feelings that go with it all, but because it's a tv show there are rules that are agreed to ahead of time and things are very much expected of the people who go through it. It's not about love, it's about ratings. These people and their feelings DO NOT MATTER, they're pawns in a ratings game that is ruthless. I'm sure being on the show is confusing and my gosh, anyone can be on their best behavior for just a few hours a day over six short weeks, do these people really know each other? No. They get to travel around the world, fly in helicopters, are treated like VIPs everywhere they go, swim with sharks, drive race cars, stay in a beautiful mansion, have picnics at wineries (I don't drink but would still LOVE to visit a winery), are special guests on tv shows or at radio stations, etc. Shoot, I could hate the guy and want to stay as long as humanly possible for the experience of it all. I want to see dates where the bachelor/bachelorette and their date have to deal with crying babies at 2 am, be thrown up on, have to pay bills that total more than they bring in, change poopy diapers, answer telemarketing calls at least twice an hour each waking hour of each day, volunteer in their communities or a local school, still work their full-time jobs, deal with in-laws and neighbors, and all that good stuff and see if they can possibly fall in love in the midst of all that?? THAT would be reality tv. Oh, and let's see them give an engagement ring that's maybe 1/2 a carat, not 4! I'm sure anyone who watches has noticed that each season the very words used remain the same, only the faces change...it gets awfully monotonous. Isn't every rose ceremony the most dramatic rose ceremony ever??

If you're on the show you're either choosing (hellooo, kid in a candy store) or being chosen (a little unhealthy competition, anyone?). Then they have to get rid of a certain number of people whether they're ready or not. I mean, who dates once or twice and really knows a person well enough to say yes or no at that point? (Besides me when I dated Ken, that is...) And the person choosing NEVER EVER knows until the very last second what they're going to do. The one sent home is always shocked and hurt beyond belief, it's a cruel set-up...and let's do it all on national (international?) television! Yet does it really matter how you meet someone? Isn't this just an opportunity, strange as it is? After all, what really matters is what happens when the cameras and lights go off and real life begins, right?

Do I think Jason's a jerk? I don't know. Do I think he and Molly have a chance? I don't know. Would I ever do the show? Doubt it. Will I continue to watch? Yup.

2 comments:

Mary said...

Am an ardent fan of the show so I'll answer your questions. Yes, No, If given the chance, Probably.

Biz said...

Oh my gosh... it makes sense that I would go to comment and the other comment here is from my sister.

You nailed it in totality. Everything I feel. VERBATIM!!!

And you made me laugh. Oh... Jason is a jerk. But I'd say that about almost any bachelor.